You can view and manage current and previous versions of assets in Webdam.
Note: Version control is available to customers with Professional and Enterprise subscription plans. If you would like to upgrade your subscription plan, please contact your customer success manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
This article covers the following topics:
In Webdam, versioned assets will display a version number next to the file name on the asset thumbnail and in the asset details panel.
In Brand Connect, users will only see the latest version – they won’t be able to view version history or an indication of versioning.
You can view thumbnails of all previous versions of an asset along with upload dates and comments.
- Log into Webdam and select the asset.
- From the asset details page, click Versions on the actions toolbar.
- The current and previous versions of the asset will display. You can comment on the current or previous version and view, download, restore and delete previous versions.
- When finished, click Done.
When an asset is uploaded with the same filename as a previously uploaded asset, automatic versioning adds the asset as a new version of the previous one. Both files remain in Webdam.
- Log into Webdam.
- Click on the top navigation and select System Preferences.
- In the Assets section, configure the setting:
- Version uploaded assets with the same name: When enabled, an asset uploaded to a folder where its filename already exists will be added as a new version of that asset.
- When the setting is disabled, the newly uploaded asset’s filename will append with “_1” when uploaded to a folder where its filename already exists.
- You also have the option to apply metadata from the new version or the current version:
- If you want to retain the metadata from the original asset, choose the Apply metadata from current version option.
- If you want to save the metadata from the newly uploaded version, choose the Apply metadata from new version option.
- Click Save.
Admins and contributors with upload permission for a folder can manually version assets.
- Log into Webdam and select the asset.
- From the asset details page, click in the actions toolbar and select Add version.
- Click Choose file and enter a comment (optional).
- Click Upload.
There is something missing on this page. For example, which option sends an automatic notification to users when an asset is updated: replace asset file or or upload new version? Please clarify. Thanks.
After I uploaded a new version the original file is still vision in the asset details window. How can I set the new version to be what is visible in that window. If a user sees the old version they can't tell that the new version of the asset is what's available when they download the asset.
Hi Cris, Here's the article on notifications: https://www.damsuccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/202976995-Notifications-Alerts-and-Watching-in-WebDAM.
Hi Janet - Thank you for letting us know. The new version should display. Was this happening right after you added a new version? Is it still displaying the old version? If so, can you please request support? If the new version is now displaying, it might have just taken a few minutes for the asset to process.
version comments (added when uploading version)are not visible in the version history display or anywhere else I've been able to determine - where are these comments surfaced? what's the point of capturing them if you can't see them? I added a comment to v2 of this asset when I uploaded it, but it is no where to be seen. https://testscripps.webdamdb.com/cloud/#asset/47350726
Why cant users view version history in brand connect?
When you upload a new version that has been converted (from .mp3 to .wav, for instance), it has the same filename (prefix) but different file type (suffix). The documentation indicates that the same filename will version to v2 (or next sequential ver#), but what about the file extension? When we upload the same filename with a different file extension, it uploads as a new file and that is not what we want.
Can you add a version to an asset that already lives in the DAM?
Indeed! As long as you've enabled versioning assets in your system settings, anytime you add a file with the same filename as the existing asset it will generate a new version.
I would like to add to the last comment that it depends on whether you explicitly upload or move a file. If you move another version of the same filename from one folder to another, it will not create a new version, it will create a new file with _2 after the file prefix. You would need to download/upload in order for WebDAM to recognize it as a version of the existing file.
Yes, that is correct. The versioning mechanism works based on uploaded assets only.
The upload version feature seems like it takes an impossibly long time. It just sits there and spins for an inordinate amount of time and the asset doesn't actually get uploaded..Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm going to reach out to you directly so we can see better what's going on in your account. It certainly shouldn't be stuck in uploading.
Is there a way to upload new versions of multiple files in bulk? For instance, if I make a lightbox, download all of the images and edit them, how can I upload all of the new versions simultaneously (as I did with downloading them).
When versioning is turned on, any asset with the same name as another within a given folder will be versioned. In that regard, you can bulk upload assets into a folder and they'll automatically be versioned. The complication in your case is that it's coming from a lightbox, so those assets could exist in different folders.
Is it possible to add an additional metadata field in the Version History along with the Modified By and Modified Date? I know we can click on "View" to see the full metadata of a particular version, but we have one particular metadata field that we change with every new version that would be nice to see right inline in the Version History.