Webdam Dynamic Templates is an add-on feature that allows you to make parts of your InDesign marketing materials customizable while keeping other parts static – so colleagues and partners can personalize presentations, business cards, catalogs, brochures and countless other materials without risking brand consistency. No training or design skills necessary.
Find out below how you can install PrintUI and how you can set up and manage Dynamic Templates.
Watch a Video
Skip directly to
- Install the PrintUI extension in InDesign
- Log In
- Set Up a Template
- Upload a Template
- Manage Templates in Webdam
- Customize Preferences
Example Use Cases
- A sales person needs to customize a datasheet with their contact information.
- A travel agency wants to update the pricing, images and dates of a flyer.
- A marketing manager in Italy wants to update the language of a brochure to Italian.
How to Install the PrintUI Extension?
In order to use Dynamic Templates, you will need to have the following third-party tools installed:
- Adobe InDesign Creative Cloud 2017 or later
- Print UITools extension (available under the Install section immediately below)
- Download the Print UITools extension. Click one of the download links below depending on your operating system.
- Open the file and follow the installation wizard.
Learn more about using Dynamic Templates in Edit and Download Dynamic Templates.
How to Use the PrintUI Extension?
- Open InDesign.
- Click Window on the top navigation and select Extensions > Print UI Management.
- Click the icon in the upper-right of the Print UI Management window and select Enter Login Credentials.
- Enter your Dynamic Templates Credentials and click Login.
The Dynamic Templates login credentials are not necessarily the same as your Webdam login credentials. They would have been provided by your implementation consultant or customer success manager, so please reach out to them for more information.
Set Up a Template
- Create the InDesign document that you would like to convert into a Dynamic Template.
- For any layers and objects that should not be editable within Webdam, move them to the background or foreground layer.
- If you would like users to have the ability to edit text and/or replace graphics, but not change the size of the layer or object containing the text and graphics, simply lock the layer or object.
- For layers and objects you would like users to have the ability to move, delete, or expand, leave those layers unlocked and do not place on the background and foreground layer.
- Save the document to your computer.
- Click the Package & Upload tab in the PrintUI Management panel of InDesign.
- Click Upload, which will initiate Preflighting and Packaging.
- If there are any errors during the preflight and package, the PrintUI Management panel will bring up a dialog with instructions for fixing any errors. Once any errors have been corrected, click Upload again.
- If you are prompted to add fonts, click the Uploaded Fonts tab and choose Upload Font.
After a few minutes, the document will be uploaded to your Webdam account as a Dynamic Template into a folder titled Webdam Templates.
Do not delete the Webdam Templates folder. If you do so, a new folder titled Webdam Templates will be created upon your next Dynamic Template upload.
How to Manage Your Templates in Webdam?
- Organize: Users with the appropriate permissions can move the templates to other folders within Webdam by dragging and dropping the files in the preferred destination folder. Learn more about moving assets.
- Relate Images: Users with the appropriate permissions can control which images are available for each template. Learn more about relating assets.
- Delete: Users with appropriate permissions can delete the templates. Deleting a template in Print UI, also removes it from Webdam. Once a template is deleted, it cannot be recovered.
- Click the Templates tab in the Print UI Management panel of InDesign.
- Select the template you would like to delete and then click Remove Template.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Delete the template in the DAM. Learn more about deleting assets.
As a DAM Admin you can configure Dynamic Templates and decide what options are available in the editor as well as what users can do in the editor. Read more about configuring Dynamic Templates here.
- PrintUITools.exe5 MB