Now that you are up and running with your DAM, it is important to take some time to consider how to maintain the DAM so that it continues to be a dependable resource for your users.
Below are some important tips on maintaining your DAM:
- Educate your contributors on your metadata strategy. When you make changes to your metadata strategy, communicate those changes to your contributors as well.
- Don’t plan to add metadata later. Add metadata right after you upload assets to your DAM.
- Keep keywords consistent by using a controlled vocabulary. When building the controlled vocabulary, gather feedback from contributors and general users to ensure that the words on the list are meaningful. Update the controlled vocabulary regularly.
- Audit your DAM for metadata completeness and organization regularly. Are assets being keyworded and are they being placed in the correct folders?
- Hold your contributors accountable for their role in DAM, for tasks such as adding metadata.
- Request feedback from users and take action on that feedback. If users are not able to locate a given set of assets, perhaps it is because they are searching by keywords that you are not tagging assets with.
- Setup metadata dropdown menus for commonly used fields such as photographer name or brand.
- Keep your folder structure current. If you have folders setup product, when a new product is added to your organization’s portfolio, add a folder for the new product in your DAM right away.
- Check for misspellings and typos in metadata and keywords. One misspelling can keep an asset from being found.
- Set a schedule for your audits and stick to it.
Following these guidelines for maintaining your DAM will save you a great deal of time in the future.